Filipino Style Recipe: nilagang baka or beef stew is an easy yet delicous Filipino soup dish. Beef stew is so simple to prepare but time consuming. The beef simmered for an hour until tender then cooked with corn cobs, potatoes, bananas and veggies. This is so popular and can be served anytime or the best during rainy season.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 70 – 90 minutes
1 kilo of beef meat (brisket, shank,short ribs), cut into serving pieces
3 medium-sized potatoes, cut into quarter
5 pieces cardava banana(saging na saba)
3 Japanese corn cobs, cut into 3-4 pieces
1 small bundle green beans(baguio beans), trimmed
1 bundle bok choy (Pechay) , cut the 2 pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon peppercorn
fish sauce(patis) or salt to taste
1 liter of water
1/2 small cabbage, cut into quarter(optional)
1. In a large casserole, place the meat and add water. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove the scum as it rises. Add more water if necessary. Pressure cooker only takes 30 minutes.
2. Add corn and onion. Season with fish sauce and sprinkle some salt. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the corn is tender.
3. Put potatoes and continue cooking until potatoes are cooked.
4. Then add cardava banana and all the vegetables. Do not cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are done. Do not overcooked the vegetables.
5. Adjust seasoning with fish sauce and salt according to taste.
6. Serve hot with fish sauce and birds eye chili(siling labuyo) for condiments.
1. You may also add anise or cinnamon powder for seasoning.
2. You can also try chicken (chicken stew) or pork (pork stew) for variety.
Powered by Facebook Comments