Filipino Style Recipe: Fruit cake is a sweet cake that is usually serve during Holiday season. This is cake is made of butter, sugar, salt, eggs, flour and baking powder mixed with candied fruits and chopped nuts soaked in liquors like brandy or rum then baked until golden brown.
Estimated time of preparation: 15-20 minutes(plus soaking time)
Estimated time of cooking: 50 minutes
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup red and green maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup candied pineapple chunks
1/2 cup brandy or rum
2 cups sugar(plus 1 cup sugar for caramel syrup)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
250 grams butter, melted
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla essence(optional)
Part 1(Soaking Fruits)
1. In a stainless steel bowl, pour brandy then soak fruits.
2. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature. Set aside.
Part 2(Caramel Syrup)
1. In a heated pan, pour 1/2 cup water then dissolved 1 cup sugar until caramelized. Let it cool and set aside
Part 3(Batter Mixture)
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix well.
2. Add butter, sugar and eggs, vanilla essence then mix well.
3. Add caramel syrup and half of soaked fruits then mix well.
1. In a loaf pan, grease with melted butter then dust with flour.
2. Pour mixture then bake over 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes then remove from the oven.
3. Sprinkle the remaining soaked fruits on top then put back in the oven.
4. Bake for another 40 minutes or until golden brown.
(Fruit cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
5. Remove from the oven then brush top with remaining brandy from soaked fruits.
6. Let it cool then refrigerate before slicing. Enjoy!
Powered by Facebook Comments