Filipino Style Recipe: bulalo or bone marrow stew is another easy yet delicious Filipino soup dish. Bulalo is similar to beef stew(nilagang baka) instead we use beef shank or bone marrow. This is considered as one of the favorite dish of most Filipinos. Preparing this dish is so simple but time consuming because the beef simmered for at least an hour until tender then cooked with corn cobs, potatoes, bananas and veggies. This is so popular and can be served anytime or the best during rainy season.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 70 – 90 minutes
1 kilo of beef shank/bone marrow(bulalo), cut into serving pieces
3 medium-sized potatoes, cut into quarter
1 small bundle green beans(baguio beans), trimmed
1 bundle bok choy(Pechay), cut the 2 pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon peppercorn
fish sauce(patis) or salt to taste
1 liter of water
3 Japanese corn cobs, cut into 3-4 pieces(optional)
1/2 small cabbage, cut into quarter(optional)
5 pieces cardava banana(saging na saba), sliced(optional)
2 thumb-sized ginger, chopped(optional)
1. In a large casserole, place the meat, ginger and add water. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil and simmer for at least about 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove the scum as it rises. Add more water if necessary. Pressure cooker takes less time.
1. Add corn and onion. then season with fish sauce and sprinkle some salt. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the corn is tender.
2. Add potatoes and continue cooking until potatoes are cooked.
3. Add cardava banana and all the vegetables. Do not cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are done.(Do not overcooked the vegetables)
5. Adjust seasoning with fish sauce and salt according to taste.
6. Serve hot with fish sauce and birds eye chili(siling labuyo) for condiments.
1. You may also add anise or cinnamon powder if you prefer.
Powered by Facebook Comments