Filipino Style Recipe: Paksiw na salmonete or red mullet is another quick and easy fish dish by Filipinos. Salmonete is a Spanish word for red mullet. Red mullet is a Mediterranean fish with a mix of orange, red and pink colored skin. I used striped red mullet in this recipe and the procedure is similar to other paksiw. Normally the fish and vegetables cook in a blend of vinegar and some spices like garlic, onion and ginger then cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20-30 minutes.
Good for 3-4 persons.
500 grams red mullet(salmonete), cleaned
1 small garlic, pounded
1 onion, sliced
1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced and pounded
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon grind black pepper
2 teaspoon salt
3 green chili(siling haba)
5 small okra, heads removed
1. In a pan, arrange salmonete, garlic, onion, ginger, salt and black pepper.
2. Pour water, vinegar and cooking oil then add okra and green chili.
3. Cover and simmer in a medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove from heat and Serve.
1. You may also used eggplants or bitter gourd(ampalaya) as alternative vegetable.
(Thanks to my Mom for sharing)
Powered by Facebook Comments