Filipino Style Recipe: Kwek-kwek is another popular Filipino meryenda(mid-afternoon snack) that is commonly sold along the streets. Kwek-kwek is a hard-boiled quail eggs wrapped in orange batter then deep fried until golden brown. This is similar to tokneneng which is made up of chicken or duck eggs instead of quail eggs.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 20 minutes
3 dozen quail eggs, hard-boiled
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup water
salt and ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon orange food coloring
cooking oil for frying
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour,salt, pepper, water and food coloring. Mix until well blended.
2. Add baking powder, stir to smooth batter and set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Place the hard-boiled eggs in the mixing bowl and coat with batter.
4. Spoon out the eggs from the batter and deep fry in hot cooking oil for a minute or until the coating is crispy.
5. Drain and serve with spicy vinegar or sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy!
1. You may also used anatto water instead of food coloring.
2. You may used duck eggs or chicken eggs instead of quail eggs.
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons ketchup for coloring
hot sauce or chopped chili peppers(labuyo)(optional)
1. In a sauce pan, combine all the ingredients then simmer in a low heat while keep stirring until thickens.
Powered by Facebook Comments