Filipino Style Recipe: Ampalaya con carne is another simple yet healthy dish. Bitter gourd or ampalaya cut into thin slices then cook together with beef strips in a blend of soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch, salt and pepper until the ampalaya and beef are tender.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 20 minutes
Good for 2-3 persons
300 grams beef sirloin, cut into thin strips
1 medium-sized bitter gourd(ampalaya), cut in half then removing the seeds and sliced crosswise
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespooon oyster sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, julienned
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sesame oil(optional)
1. In a bowl, combine beef, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper then marinate for an hour.
2. In a separate bowl, combine bitter gourd, 1/4 cup salt and enough water then soak for 15 minutes. Rinse, drain and set aside.
1. In a pan, heat oil then stir fry marinated beef for 5 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
1. In a same pan, saute garlic, onion and ginger.
2. Add bitter gourd, water and oyster sauce then simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
3. Put back beef then season with salt and pepper to according to taste.
4. Turn off heat then serve with steamed rice.
Powered by Facebook Comments