Filipino Style Recipe: Binallay is another popular Filipino delicacy from northern part of Luzon specially in Isabela Province. Like other suman we will use glutinous rice, but we grind the rice into flour and mix with water. Wrap the rice mixture in banana leaves and cook in a boiling water until done then serve with latik sauce.
Estimated time of preparation: 20 minutes(plus soaking and grinding time)
Estimated time of cooking: 1-2 hours
1. In a bowl, place glutinous rice and water then soak for at least 3 hours. Drain.
2. Grind soaked rice into flour then mix with water until well blended.
1. Singe the banana leaves into flames for a few seconds but do not burn. Let it cool then wipe with clean cloth.
2. Grease banana leaves with coconut oil then scoop 3 tablespoons of rice mixture, fold the leaf to wrap the rice mixture.
3. Grab 2 pieces of wrapped rice mixture then tie with folded sides together using a string.
1. In a steamer, pour enough water then steam the wrapped rice mixture for 1 1/2 hours or until done.
2. Unwrap the binallay and transfer to serving plate. Serve with latik.
Powered by Facebook Comments