Filipino Style Recipe: Chicken mechado is another chicken stew that consists of a chicken meat cooked in tomato sauce together with potatoes, carrots and bell peppers then seasoned with soy sauce, bay leaves and vinegar. This dish is similar to other tomato-based dishes such as kalderata, menudo and afritada.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 45 minutes
Good for 3-4 persons.
750 grams chicken, cut into serving pieces
150 grams tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves(laurel)
2 large potatoes, quartered
1 bell pepper, sliced
4 cups chicken stock or chicken bouillon dissolved in water
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 carrot, cut into cubes(optional)
1/4 cup green peas(optional)
2 tablespoons vinegar(optional)
1. In a pan, heat oil then fry potatoes and carrots until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
1. In a pot, heat oil and saute garlic and onions.
2. Add chicken and fish sauce then continue sauteing until color turns to brown.
3. Pour tomato sauce, soy sauce, bay leaves and chicken stock then simmer until tender. Add water if necessary.
4. Add vinegar and boil again for 2-3 minutes. Do not stir.
5. Add carrots, potatoes and bell pepper then simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper according to taste.
7. Transfer to serving plate and serve with steamed rice.
Powered by Facebook Comments