Filipino Style Recipe: Fried Anchovy Salad is a simple and easy yet delicious salad. The sweetness of the dressing and the saltiness of anchovy makes this salad so special.
1 pack green and purple lettuce
1/4 cup fried achovies
2 tablespoons black olives, pitted
6 pieces cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
1/4 cup Greek dressing
2 tablespoon honey
1. In a bowl, combine Greek dressing and honey then mix well.
1. In a large big bowl, tear lettuce into serving pieces.
2. Add the black olives, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber.
3. Add fried anchovies on top then garnish with honey dressing and mayonnaise.
4. Serve immediately as appetizer.
Filipino Style Recipe: Paksiw na dilis or anchovies is another quick and easy fish dish by Filipinos. The procedure is similar to other paksiw. Normally the fish and vegetables cook in a blend of vinegar and some spices like garlic, onion and ginger then cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until done.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20-30 minutes.
Good for 3-4 persons
500 grams anchovies(dilis), cleaned and discard heads
6 cloves garlic, pounded
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced and pounded
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 green chili(siling haba), sliced
1. In a pan, arrange dilis, garlic, onion, ginger, salt and black pepper.
2. Pour water, vinegar, cooking oil and green chili.
3. Cover and simmer in a medium heat for 10 minutes or until almost dry and done.
4. Remove from heat and Serve.
1. You may also add vegetables like eggplants, okra or bitter gourd(ampalaya).
Filipino Style Recipe: pasta puttanesca is an Italian dish that has become popular in the Philippines. The sauce is consists of tomato paste, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, capers, cheese and anchovy. This is commonly prepared over or toss with pasta then sprinkle with grated cheese.
Estimated time of preparation: 5 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 30 minutes
Good for 4 persons
400 grams spaghetti pasta
1 pack(560 grams) tomato paste or spaghetti sauce
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons anchovy flakes(reserved oil)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 can(115 grams) button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese(reserve half for garnishing)
3 pieces tomatoes, chopped(optional)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped(optional)
1. In a large pot, prepare the pasta based on cooking instructions. Drain and set aside.
1. In a pan, heat anchovy oil and olive oil then saute garlic and onion until translucent.
2. Add tomatoes and mushrooms then continue sauteing for 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste then bring to boil. Add a little water if necessary.
4. Add the rest of ingredients then season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 2 minutes or until beginning to thicken.
6. Arrange pasta into serving plate then pour the sauce and toss. Top with grated cheese. Serve!
1. If you don’t have anchovy, you may use bagoong na isda as alternative.