Filipino Style Recipe: Brazo de Mercedes is another popular Filipino dessert or snack that is mostly available in bakeries. Brazo de Mercedes is a rolled cake filled with custard made of egg yolks and condensed milk. This is usually served in any occasion specially during holidays.
Estimated time of preparation: 15-20 minutes
Estimated time of baking: 20 minutes
8 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup white refined sugar
3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
8 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups condensed milk
1. In a electric mixer or mixing bowl, combine eggs and cream of tartar until soft.
2. Gradually add sugar while mixing then continue stirring until well blended.
3. In a large baking pan, lined a wax paper then grease with butter.
4. Spread the mixture evenly then bake over 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until medium brown. Set aside and Let it cool.
1. In a pan, combine condensed milk, vanilla extract and egg yolk in a low heat. Keep stirring until thickens.
2. Sprinkle the top of meringue with confectioners sugar then top with wax paper.
3. Flip the meringue then spread the filling on top.
4. Roll the meringue into a log. Transfer into serving pan then slice and serve.