Filipino Style Recipe: macaroni and cheese recipe is also known as mac and cheese by British English. Although it’s not a Filipino recipe but more Filipinos are starting to like this dish. Mac and Cheese is traditionally made of macaroni, cream, cheese, roasted onions and some added bacon or ham. Mac and cheese is usually served in many occasion.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 25 minutes
Good for 4-6 persons
50 grams butter
1 small onion, chopped
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
750ml evaporated milk
225 grams macaroni pasta
175 grams Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare pasta by directions on box and drain well.
1. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook until soft. Stir in cornstarch and salt until smooth.
3. Add evaporated milk and cheese, slowly stirring constantly until thick.
4. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
1. Prepare pasta on pasta tray, pour the sauce on top of cooked pasta. Top with remaining grated cheese.
2. Serve hot and enjoy!
1. Garnish with fried ham cut into small squares makes the recipe more special.
Filipino Style Recipe: Spinach Fettuccine Carbonara is an easy and simple pasta dish. It is usually consist of pasta and a creamy white sauce topped with ham, bacon and grated cheese. This is similar to other carbonara but we used spinach fettuccine pasta to have a healthier version.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 15-30 minutes.
Good for 4-6 person.
500 grams Spinach Fettuccine (or any desired pasta)
1 can Creamed of Mushroom Soup
250 ml All Purpose Cream
1 can Evaporated Milk
200 grams sweet ham
200 grams bacon
1 head garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
250 grams grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot, prepare the pasta based on cooking instructions. Set aside.
1. Fry the bacon but not too crispy. drain and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
2. Fry the ham, drain and cut into small square pieces. Set aside.
1. In a pan, heat oil then saute garlic and onion. Add 3/4 of fried bacon and ham.
2. Add evaporated milk and creamed mushroom soup then stir.
3. Add all purpose cream, ground pepper and grated cheese. Stir until well blended.(Add milk or water if the sauce is too creamy or salty)
4. Simmer until beginning to thicken then remove from heat.
5. Prepare pasta on pasta tray, pour the sauce on top then sprinkle with grated cheese. Add the remaining bacon and ham bits.
6. Serve with garlic bread. Enjoy
1. For additional ingredients, you may add 250 grams of mushrooms and a can of tuna saute together with bacon and ham.
(thanks Ms.Rochelle for sharing)