Filipino Style Recipe: Braised pork in oyster sauce is another simple yet delicious pork dish similar to adobo and estofado. I usually cooked pork in a blend of soy sauce, water, sugar, garlic and peppercorn. Then simmered in oyster sauce together with fried bananas and hard-boiled eggs.
Estimated time of preparation: 10-15 minutes(plus marinating time)
Estimated time of cooking: 40-50 minutes
Good for 3-5 persons
3/4 kilo pork belly, cut into serving pieces
4 pieces plantain bananas(saba), sliced diagonally
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
1/8 teaspoon dried chili flakes
10 pieces quail eggs, hard-boiled
1 cup water
cooking oil for frying
2 pieces star anise(optional)
1. In a pan, heat oil and fry the sliced bananas until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
2. In a casserole, combine pork, garlic, soy sauce, water, sugar, star anise and peppercorn then marinate for 30 minutes.
1. Place the casserole in a stove then cook pork for 30 minutes or until tender. Add more water if necessary.
2. Add oyster sauce, fried bananas, hard-boiled quail eggs and chili flakes then simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Adjust seasoning according to taste then continue cooking until the sauce is thicken.
4. Transfer to serving plate then serve with steamed rice.