Filipino Style Recipe: Pesang tilapia is an easy and simple fish dish similar to nilaga. Commonly the fish boiled until tender then add onion, leeks, peppercorn, salt, potatoes, bok choy or cabbage.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20 minutes
Good for 2-3 servings
1 big-sized tilapia or any fish, cleaned and cut into serving pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, slice thinly
2 onion leeks, chopped
1 teaspoon peppercorns
4 tablespoons fish sauce
1/4 head cabbage or a bunch of pechay
3/4 liter rice washing or water
salt to taste
1 medium-sized potatoes, quartered(optional)
1. In a pot, heat oil then saute ginger, onion and onion leeks.
2. Add potatoes and peppercorns then continue sauteing for a minute.
3. Pour rice washing and bring to boil then season with fish sauce.
4. Add fish then simmer for 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
5. Add cabbage then simmer for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
6. Transfer to serving bowl then serve immediately.
Filipino Style Recipe: adobong isda or fish adobo recipe is another simple yet delicious dish. Usually the fish marinade, fried then simmer in a blend of soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20-30 minutes
Good for 2-3 persons
1 medium-sized fish(milkfish, tuna, salmon), sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup vinegar
sugar, salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion, minced(optional)
1 thumb-sized ginger, minced(optional)
1 small bay leaf (optional)
1 red chili, sliced diagonally(optional)
1. In a bowl, combine fish, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper.
2. Marinate for an hour in the refrigerator. Drain fish and reserve the marinade.
1. In a frying pan, heat oil and fry the fish until golden brown on both sides. Drain and set aside.
1. In a sauce pan, heat oil and saute the garlic, onion and ginger.
2. Pour marinade then bring to boil.
3. Add fried fish and bay leaf then simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Adjust the taste according to taste.
5. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving plate. Serve with steamed rice.