Filipino Style Recipe: Kalamay ube is another Filipino dessert and meryenda(mid-afternoon snack) that is commonly sold along the streets. Kalamay ube is a chewy rice purple cake made of purple yum(ube). Purple yum comes boiled, peeled and grated then cook with coconut milk, rice flour and sugar until thick. Sprinkle with coconut curd(latik) then serve warm.
1 kilo purple yam(ube)
3 cups glutinous rice flour
4 cans(400ml each) coconut milk
2 cans coconut milk for curd(latik)
3 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon pandan or vanilla extract
1. On a pot, boil water then cook purple yam for 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and let cool.
2. Peel the purple yam and grate. Set aside.
1. In a pan, pour coconut milk then cook in a low heat. Keep stirring until curdles. Set aside.
1. In a large pan, combine the grated purple yam, sweet rice flour, coconut milk, sugar and vanilla then cook in a low heat. Keep stirring until well combined and thickened.
2. In a shallow pan or woven basket, lined a wilted banana leaves then grease with the coconut oil.
3. Transfer the mixture and spread evenly then sprinkle with coconut curd. Slice and serve warm.