Filipino Style Recipe: chicken caldereta or kalderetang manok is another chicken dish that commonly served by Filipinos. This is similar to beef caldereta and chicken afritada. It is basically chicken marinated and sauteed, then cooked with tomato sauce, bell pepper and potatoes. Some may add liver spread to make the sauce creamy. This is a mouth-watering dish that my family loves so much.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 20-30 minutes
Good for 3-4 persons
3/4 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
1/4 cup vinegar or pineapple juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
500 grams tomato sauce
1 small can liver spread
2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into cubed
2 pieces red and green bell pepper, cut into cubed
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated or cubed
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium-sized carrot, cut into cubed(optional)
2 pieces red chili(siling labuyo), chopped(optional)
2 pieces bay leaf(optional)
1. In a bowl, marinate chicken in soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
2. In a pan heat oil and fry potatoes and carrots until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
1. In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onions until translucent.
2. Add chicken and continue sauteing until light brown.
3. Pour marinade, tomato sauce and water then simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Add liver spread, potatoes, carrots, chili and bell pepper then cook for 2 minutes.
5. Adjust seasoning according to taste then add grated cheese. Mix until cheese has melted.
6. Remove from heat then serve hot with steamed rice.
1. You may also include hot dogs cut diagonally and green peas if you prefer.