Filipino style recipe: beef caldereta or kalderetang baka is another tomato-based dish and commonly served by Filipinos. Normally the beef boiled until tender, then cooked in tomato sauce, bell pepper, carrots and potatoes. Some may add liver spread and cheese to make the sauce creamy. This is another mouth-watering dish and one of my favorite.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 80-120 minutes
Good for 4-6 person
500 grams beef, cut into chunks
1 can (85 grams)liver spread
1 large onions, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
250 grams tomato sauce
3 large potatoes, cubed
2 large carrots, cubed
2 red and green bell peppers, diced
4-5 cups water or beef stock
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2-3 hot chili(labuyo), chopped(optional)
1/4 cup cheese, grated or cubed(optional)
1. In a pan heat oil and fry potatoes and carrots until golden brown.
2. Drain and set aside.
1. In a pot, heat oil and saute garlic and onions.
2. Add beef, continue sauteing for 5 minutes.
3. Add water and simmer for at least 1-2 hour or until beef is tender. Add water if necessary.
4. Add tomato sauce,liver spread and bay leaves, simmer for 5-8 minutes.
5. Add carrots, potatoes, bell pepper and chili. Simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
6. Adjust seasoning with sugar, salt and pepper according to taste.
7. Add cheese and simmer for another 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
8. Transfer to serving plate and serve with steamed rice.
1, Goat and chicken meat can also be used instead of beef.
2. You may also add green olives and green peas.