Filipino Style Recipe: pork and egg menudo is another simple yet delicious tomato-based pork dish. The pork marinated and cooked in tomato sauce together with sweet peas, bell pepper and hard-boiled eggs.
Estimated time of preparation: 10-12 minutes(plus marinating time)
Estimated time of cooking: 30-40 minutes
Good for 3-4 persons
3/4 kilo pork, cut into cubes
10 pieces quail eggs
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup sweet peas
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 piece lemon or 4 pieces calamansi
4 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup water
brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, marinate pork in calamansi juice and soy sauce for an hour. Set aside.
2. In a pot, boil water then cook quail eggs for 15 minutes. Drain and let it cool then remove shells and set aside.
1. In a large pot, heat cooking oil then saute garlic and onion.
2. Add marinated pork and water, simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add tomato sauce then simmer for 10 minutes until pork is tender.
4. Add sweet peas, bell pepper, and hard-boiled quail eggs then simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Season with brown sugar, salt and pepper according to taste.
6. Remove from heat, Serve hot!
Filipino Style Recipe: Braised pork in oyster sauce is another simple yet delicious pork dish similar to adobo and estofado. I usually cooked pork in a blend of soy sauce, water, sugar, garlic and peppercorn. Then simmered in oyster sauce together with fried bananas and hard-boiled eggs.
Estimated time of preparation: 10-15 minutes(plus marinating time)
Estimated time of cooking: 40-50 minutes
Good for 3-5 persons
3/4 kilo pork belly, cut into serving pieces
4 pieces plantain bananas(saba), sliced diagonally
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
1/8 teaspoon dried chili flakes
10 pieces quail eggs, hard-boiled
1 cup water
cooking oil for frying
2 pieces star anise(optional)
1. In a pan, heat oil and fry the sliced bananas until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
2. In a casserole, combine pork, garlic, soy sauce, water, sugar, star anise and peppercorn then marinate for 30 minutes.
1. Place the casserole in a stove then cook pork for 30 minutes or until tender. Add more water if necessary.
2. Add oyster sauce, fried bananas, hard-boiled quail eggs and chili flakes then simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Adjust seasoning according to taste then continue cooking until the sauce is thicken.
4. Transfer to serving plate then serve with steamed rice.