Filipino Style Recipe: Paksiw na salmonete or red mullet is another quick and easy fish dish by Filipinos. Salmonete is a Spanish word for red mullet. Red mullet is a Mediterranean fish with a mix of orange, red and pink colored skin. I used striped red mullet in this recipe and the procedure is similar to other paksiw. Normally the fish and vegetables cook in a blend of vinegar and some spices like garlic, onion and ginger then cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20-30 minutes.
Good for 3-4 persons.
500 grams red mullet(salmonete), cleaned
1 small garlic, pounded
1 onion, sliced
1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced and pounded
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon grind black pepper
2 teaspoon salt
3 green chili(siling haba)
5 small okra, heads removed
1. In a pan, arrange salmonete, garlic, onion, ginger, salt and black pepper.
2. Pour water, vinegar and cooking oil then add okra and green chili.
3. Cover and simmer in a medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove from heat and Serve.
1. You may also used eggplants or bitter gourd(ampalaya) as alternative vegetable.
(Thanks to my Mom for sharing)