1 kilo hito(catfish), clean and cut into serving pieces
3 tablespoons miso paste
1 pack of tamarind powder or tamarind(sampalok)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 litre of water or rice washing
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
fish sauce, salt and ground pepper to taste
2 bunches mustard greens(mustasa) or pechay
3 green chili(siling haba)
1. In a pot, arrange hito then pour 1/4 cup vinegar. Bring to boil, drain and set aside.
2. Dissolve miso paste in 1 cup warm water, strain and extract juice. Set aside.
1. In a casserole, heat oil and saute garlic, onion, ginger and tomatoes.
2. Add miso juice, water and sinigang mix then bring to boil. Add water if needed.
3. Add hito then cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
4. Adjust seasoning then add green chili and mustard leaves, simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat then transfer to serving bowl. Serve hot with steamed rice.
1. To extract tamarind juice instead of sinigang mix, boil unripe tamarind until soften then pound and extract the juice.