Filipino Style Recipe: fish menudo(maya-maya) is another variety of mouth-watering tomato-based dish. Fish should be boiled in vinegar with salt to get rid the fishy smell and taste. Then drained and cooked in tomato sauce together with potatoes, carrots and other vegetables.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 30 minutes
Good for 3-4 persons
3/4 kilo snapper fillets(maya-maya), cleaned and cut into cubes
2 potatoes, cut into cubes
1 carrot, cut into cubes
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 bay leaves(optional)
3 pieces calamansi, juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons cooking oil
a dash of dried chili flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a casserole, arrange fish then add 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 water and salt then bring to boil. Drain and set aside.(This will help to get rid the fishy smell and taste of the fish).
2. In a large pot, heat cooking oil and fry potatoes and carrots until light brown. Drain and set aside.
1. In the same pot, reduce oil then saute ginger, garlic and onion.
2. Add fish then continue sauteing for 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Pour tomato sauce, water, soy sauce and calamansi juice then simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Add potatoes, carrots, bell pepper and bay leaves then simmer for another 5 minutes or until almost cook.
5. Adjust seasoning with dried chili flakes, salt and pepper according to taste.
6. Remove from heat then transfer to serving bowl.Serve immediately with steamed rice.