Filipino Style Recipe: Chicken Kare Kare or Kare Kareng manok is another variety of popular Filipino Kare-Kare. In this recipe we used chicken as alternative meat. Normally the chicken sauteed and cooked in chicken stock with peanut butter and ground toasted rice until thicken. Add the variety of vegetables and often serve with sauteed shrimp paste.
Estimated time of preparation: 5-10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 30-40 minutes
Good for 3-4 persons.
1 kilo chicken, cut in serving pieces
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup ground toasted rice
1 onion, sliced
1 cup string beans(sitaw), cut into 2 inches
1 bundle bokchoy(petchay)
3 pieces egg plant, cut lengthwise
1 teaspoon annatto seeds(dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water, discard seeds)
3 tablespoons cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 chicken broth cube(optional)
sauteed shrimp paste
1. In a pan, heat oil and fry all the vegetables and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes. Do not over cook the vegetables. Drain and set aside.
1. In another pot, heat oil and saute onions.
2. Add chicken, water and chicken cube. Simmer until chicken is tender.
3. Add peanut butter, ground toasted rice and annatto water. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
4. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper according to taste.
5. Add banana heart, string beans, eggplants and bok choy. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
6. Transfer to serving bowl, serve with sauteed shrimps paste.
1. You may also used leftover roasted or fried chicken.
Powered by Facebook Comments