Just several days more and we will be welcoming a new year!
There are many interesting superstitions and beliefs for Filipinos during New Year’s Eve and New Years Day. They say these will bring them a prosperous New Year. For example, they say if you want to grow taller, you have to jump twelve time when you get up. On the New Year’s Eve, you have to wear polka dots which signifies coins (for wealth). When the clock strucks 12:00 midnight, make as much noice as you can to drive away bad spirits, thus some uses firecrackers, blow trumpets, rev up their engines, and even use the pots as gongs!
When it comes to “Media Noche”, we also believe in serving 12 kinds of round fruits (some also believe that the seeds should not be black), and of course, different dishes for abundance.
We have listed several dishes that we have featured in FSR so you can easily choose which one you want to serve for your friends and family:
Pansit Bihon Canton Guisado
Mango Float Graham
Biko(Filipino Sweet Sticky Rice)
Lechon Baboy (Roasted Pig)
Pork Hamonado Roll
Grilled Pork Belly
Baby Back Ribs
Breaded Butterfly Shrimp
Garlic Cream Dory
Buttered Shrimp with Garlic
Baked Cream Dory
Chicken Ham and Cheese Roll
For the cupcake:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/8 cups white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar. Mix in the oil and vanilla. Fold in carrots and pineapple.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix flour mixture into the carrot mixture until evenly moist. Fill the prepared cupcake cups to almost full.
3. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool before frosting.
4. To prepare the frosting,in a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla and orange extract, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar.
Filipino Style Recipe: A Philippine favorite meryenda (mid-afternoon snack) made of puto bread with leche flan.
2 cups cake flour or all purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon yellow food color
4 egg yolks
1 big can (300 grams) condensed milk
2 teaspoon lemon juice
Part 1 (Leche Flan)
1. In a bowl, combine mixture then whisk until well blended.
2. Grease moulds then pour leche flan mixture 1/2 inch full.
3. Place into steamer then cover with cheesecloth, steam over low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from steamer and let it cool.
Part 2 (Puto)
1. In a separate bowl, combine wet mixture until blended
2. In another bowl, combine wet mixture until blended
3. Combine both mixture then add food color. Mix until no lumps and smooth.
4. Strain mixture using clean cheesecloth then pour over leche flan until almost full.
5. Place into steamer then cover with cheesecloth, steam over low heat for another 10 minutes.
6. Top each puto with leche flan then steam for another 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a puto comes out clean.
7. Remove from steamer and let it cool.
Filipino Style Recipe: Strawberry Cheese Cupcakes is a mouth-watering dessert that can be served in all kind of occasion.
1 small can strawberry pie filling
10-12 muffin cups
2 cups crushed grahams
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 packs cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 can condensed milk
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon flour
1. In a bowl, mix together the crust ingredients until well combined.
2. Grease muffin pan and line with muffin cups.
3. Scoop a mixture and press into the the bottom of each muffin cup.
4. Bake in preheated oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven but keep the oven on.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually beat in the condensed milk. Mix in lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
3. Beat in the eggs at low speed one at a time until just combined.
4. Add the flour and beat again.
1. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the muffin cups until 2/3 full.
2. Bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven.
3. Let it cool completely then place scoop of strawberry filling.
4. Refrigerate for at least 4 hourse until ready to serve.
Filipino Style Recipe: Creamy Beef Stroganoff Pasta is a creamy pasta dish made of beef strips and mushrooms cooked in creamy white sauce. This is commonly serve in any occasion or mid-afternoon snack. The creamy beef stroganoff can also be serve together with pasta or steamed rice.
1/2 kilo spaghetti pasta
1/2 kilo beef sirloin, cut into strips
1 can sliced mushroom, drained
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup red wine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups water
1 beef bouillon
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 pack (9 oz) cream cheese, softened
1. Prepare pasta based on cooking instructions. Drain and set aside.
1. Marinate beef strips into the red wine, salt and pepper for 15 minutes. Drain beef and reserve the marinade.
2. In a large pan, heat oil then put the beef until browned around 10-15 minutes. Transfer browned beef into a plate.
1. Using the same pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
2. Saute onion and garlic until translucent then add the mushroom and cook for 5-8 minutes. Transfer into another plate.
1. In the same pan, melt the remaining butter then whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat for around 5 minutes.
2. Add water and beef bouillon then let it boil while stirring constantly.
3. Pour the marinade then add the Worcestershire sauce and mustard.
4. Add the mushroom and beef, cover then simmer until meat is tender around 1 hour.
5. When you are about to serve, stir in the cream cheese and sour cream and cook for 5 minutes.
6. In a serving plate, prepare pasta then top with a generous creamy beef stroganoff. Sprinkle with chopped spring onion. Enjoy.
Filipino Style Recipe: No Cook Banana Chocolate Pudding is an easy to prepare dish and does not need any cooking or baking. The pudding tastes like soft ice cream so your kids will really love it.
2 1/2 cups cold milk
1 pack (5 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup whipped cream
1 (240 grams) sour cream
1 (16 oz) cookies such as shortbread cookies
8 bananas, peeled and sliced
1. In a bowl, combine the chocolate pudding mix and milk then beat together until it thickens.
2. Add the sour cream and beat again. Fold in whipped cream. Set aside.
1. In a rectangular container, arrange a layer of cookies at the bottom.
2. Spread a layer of the pudding mixture, then a layer of slicked bananas.
3. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are consumed.
4. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tip: Soak bananas in orange juice or water with vit c to avoid darkening.
Filipino Style Recipe: S’mores Graham Balls are simple and easy on the budget. The Graham balls are sweet snacks filled with marsh mallow that you and your family could enjoy. These is commonly serve in any occasions specially during holidays.
Estimated time of preparation: 20-25 minutes (plus refrigerating time)
1 1/2 cup crushed graham
1 can (300ml) condensed milk
3 tablespoons powdered milk
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
marshmallows for filling
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1. In a bowl, combine crushed grahams and condensed milk then mix until well incorporated.
2. Add the powdered milk and cocoa. Use hand to make dough. (Add more grahams if mixture is still sticky and hard to make ball.)
1. Scoop a spoonful of graham mixture and create a ball by rolling into your palms.
2. Push one marshmallow into the center of the ball then seal and roll it until the shape is round.
3. Roll the graham balls over confectioner’s sugar.
4. Repeat steps until all the mixture is consumed.
5. Put into sealed container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. Place each ball in a small muffin liner then serve.
Filipino Style Recipe: Green Salad Tocino is another variety of green salad incorporated with Filipino twist by adding our favorite breakfast such as tocino or ham. The honey added to the Greek dressing adds to the sweetness of this salad.The anchovies and cheese gives it the right amount of saltiness for contrast.
1 pack romaine lettuce
1/4 cup leftover cooked tocino or ham
2 tablespoons olives, pitted
2 tablespoons dried tomatoes
6 pieces cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons capers
6 pieces boneless anchovies
2 tablespoon ground Parmesan cheese
For the dressing:
1/4 cup Greek dressing
2 tablespoon honey
1. In a bowl, combine Greek dressing and honey then mix well.
2. In a big bowl, tear lettuce into serving pieces.
3. Add the olives, dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, capers, anchovies and tocino.
4. Add the honey dressing then toss.
5. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Filipino Style Recipe: Chicken Macaroni Salad is comprises a chicken and macaroni pasta as main ingredient. Combine with mayonnaise, carrots, raisins, pickles, cheese, salt and pepper. This is commonly serve as mid-afternoon snack (meryenda) or side dish.
500 grams chicken fillet
500 grams ditalini or elbow macaroni pasta
1 large carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 sweet pickles, chopped
1 small pack pineapple tidbits, drained
1 cup grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste
100 grams ham (optional)
1. In a pot, boiled chicken in water with 1 tablespoon salt then cook until tender. Drain and let it cool.
2. Remove the chicken and allow to cool before shredding the meat into a large bowl.
1. Boiled carrot for 3 minutes then drain and allow to cool. Remove the skin and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
2. Cook ham then cut into small pieces. Set aside.
1. In a large bowl, shred chicken then add mayonnaise. Mix until just blended.
2. Add the rest of ingredients then season with salt and pepper according to taste. Mix until well blended.
3. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before. Serve.
Filipino Style Recipe: Basic Cupcake with Cheese and Bacon is a basic white cupcake that you can frost with your favorite frosting. However, in this recipe, i tried to make a twist by using grated cheese and bacon as topping.
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 tablespoon Powdered buttermilk
2 eggs at room temperature
2 tablespoon Vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable Oil
1 cup milk
1. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer at low speed for about 4 minutes.
2. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. Add to the butter and mix until well blended.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and oil and pour to the flour mixture. Mix at low speed until just combined.
4. Still at slow speed, add milk to the butter and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be a bit liquid.
1. Fill muffin pan with cupcake liners about 1/2 full and bake in preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and top with grated cheese and bacon.You can also opt to frost with your favorite frosting like Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Frosting.