Filipino Style Recipe: Tom Yam or Thai Prawn Soup is a popular Thai soup dish. It consists of shrimps with lemon, fish sauce and some herbs and spices. I love tom yum soup but the only way to have it is in thai restaurants and usually, they are a bit pricey.While I was in the grocery I passed by this aisle with premixes and I decided to try one of the tom yum instant mix. I just added some of the ingredients to enhance the flavors and tadaaa! I have my budget friendly tom yum soup.
1/4 kilo medium-sized shrimps, washed, peeled, and deveined.(save the head)
1 can shitake mushrooms, halved (you can substitute with button mushroom)
2 stalks lemon grass(tanglad), cut into 2 inch stalks and pounded
1 pack instant tom yum soup mix
1 piece onion cut into quater
1 small ginger cut into small strips
1 tablespoon fish sauce(preferably Thai fish sauce)
2 cups water
Spring onion, cut into 1 inch sticks for garnish
1. Put the shrimp head in boiling water and let it boil for 5 minutes to release the flavor. Strain the shrimp head out of the boiling water.
2. Add onions, ginger, mushroom, and lemon grass and let it boil for 3 minutes.
3. Add the tom yum soup mix.
4. Add the shimp and cook until color turns bright orange, around 3 minutes.Season with fish sauce.
5. Remove and transfer to serving bowl. Top with spring onions.
Filipino Style Recipe:This recipe gives you a fluffy and delicious pancake that’s perfect for breakfast or even for snack. This can be your a perfect weekend treat after a busy week from work or school.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 10-15 minutes
Good for 3-4 servings
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon powdered buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon baking power
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 cup blackberry pie filling
Optional for serving:
Slices of butter
1. In a small bowl, combine milk and buttermilk. Let it sit for around 2 minutes. Add the eggs and butter to the buttermilk mixture then beat lightly.In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar,baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Once you are ready to cook, combine the dry, wet ingredients, and the blackberry and mix until just blended. Do not overmix.
1. In a pan over low heat, scoop 2 tablespoon of the batter. Wait for it to have some bubbles before flipping on the other side. Cook the other side for about 1 minute or until lightly browned.
2. Put on serving plate, top with slices of butter, drizzle with chocolate syrup, sift powdered sugar and enjoy!
Filipino Style Recipe: Easy fried rice is a simple way to cook left-over rice. This dish is commonly served during breakfast together with other dish. Fried rice is made up of leftover rice stir fried with shrimps, scrambled eggs, sausages, peas, carrots and other vegetables.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 10-12 minutes
Good for 6-7 servings
6 cups cooked rice(preferably leftover)
1 cup Chinese sausages, sliced
200 grams prawns, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup sweet peas
1/2 cup carrot, diced
2 raw eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1. In the pan, heat oil then stir fry sausages for a minute.
2. Add garlic, green onion and carrots then saute for another minute.
3. Add shrimps and sweet peas then stir cook for another minute.
4. Add cooked rice and soy sauce then mix until rice is well coated.
5. Pour beaten egg then continue stirring until the egg is cooked.
6. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
7. Transfer to serving plate and garnish with chopped spring onions.