Filipino Style Recipe: Paksiw na bangus(milk fish in vinegar and spices) is a quick and easy common dish by Filipinos. The main ingredients of paksiw are vinegar and some spices like garlic, onion and ginger. Here’s my recipe on how to cook paksiw na bangus. Enjoy cooking!
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20-30 minutes. Good for 3-4 persons.
1 kilo milk fish(bangus),cleaned but not scaled cut in about 4-5 slices
1 bitter melon(ampalaya),sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, sliced
1 thumb-sized ginger(luya), sliced and crushed
3 pieces long green pepper(siling haba)
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon peppercorn(pamintang buo)
2 teaspoon salt or fish sauce(patis)
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1. Remove the gills and innards of milk fish but do not the scales. Using a scissor or knife cut the fins and tails. Wash fish thoroughly drain and slice diagonally.
2. In a casserole place the garlic, onion and ginger.
3. Arrange sliced milk fish, add water, vinegar, salt, peppercorn and cooking oil.
4. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Put the vegetables and long green pepper. Cover and simmer in a medium heat for another 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and Serve. Enjoy!