Filipino Style Recipe: sinaing na tulingan is a simple fish dish by Filipinos but it requires a lot of time in cooking. Normally the fish slit horizontally on both sides then flatten. Season with salt and then wrap using banana leaves. Traditionally, we used clay pot and cooked the fish in a hot charcoal for at least 2 hours or more until it is almost soft including the bones.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20 minutes.
Estimated time of cooking: at least 2 hours or more
1. Clean the fish by removing the gills and innards then chop off the tail.
2. Slit a long horizontal line on both sides then press to flatten and soften the fish.
3. Wash on running water then rub with salt.
4. Wrap the fish with pre-cut banana leaf then set aside.
5. Repeat the procedures for remaining pieces.
1. In a clay pot or cooking pot, arrange bilimbi then put the fish side by side.
2. Add green chili then pour water until the fish is almost covered.
3. Cover and simmer in a low heat for at least 2 hours. Add more water if necessary.
4. Continue cooking until the liquid is almost dries up.
5. Remove from heat then served with steamed rice.
photo credit to Annalyn Jusay