500 grams fresh mussels(tahong)
1 chorizo sausage, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced
1 thumb-sized ginger, finely sliced
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
4 cups rice water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fish sauce(patis)
salt and pepper to taste
1 bundle young pepper leaves(dahon ng sili)
1/2 teaspoon saffron
1. Wash the mussel thoroughly and drain.
2. Place the mussel in a bowl with water and salt.
3. Cover for several hours or overnight. This will allow the clams to expel sand.
1. In a large pot, heat oil then add chorizo. Cook until starts to brown and crisp.
2. Add garlic, onion and ginger then saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes then cook until soften.
4. Add mussel and stir fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add rice water and simmer until shells are opened. Add water if necessary.
6. Add fish sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
7. Add young pepper leaves and saffron then turn off the heat.
8. Transfer to serving bowl then serve hot.