Filipino Style Recipe: atchara, achara or atsara is a popular Filipino side dish made of grated green papaya. This is usually serve as side dish together with grilled or fried food such as fish, pork or beef. The grated papaya is squeeze out then combine with carrots, bell pepper, onion and raisins. The vegetables store and refrigerate in a sealed bottle with salt, sugar and vinegar for at least a week to maintain its sweet and sour taste.
2 pieces medium-size green papaya(unripe), peeled and grated
1/2 cup salt
1 piece carrots, julienne
1 piece red bell pepper, julienne
1 large white onion, sliced
1 piece thumb-size ginger, julienne
1/2 cup raisins
1 tablespoon peppercorn
4 cups white vinegar
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
1. In a bowl, combine shredded papaya and salt then mix well. Set aside for at least an hour.
2. Pour 1 cup water and place in clean cloth then squeeze out all the juices. Set aside.
1. In a saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and salt then bring to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
1. In a large bowl, combine the papaya and the rest of the ingredients then mix well.
2. In a large bottle, place the combined vegetables then pour over the vinegar mixture.
3. Seal tight the bottle then refrigerate for at least 7 days before serving. Enjoy:)