Filipino Style Recipe: Puto Flan with Caramel Sauce is a Filipino favorite mid-afternoon snack (meryenda) made of puto bread with leche flan then drizzle with caramel sauce.
2 cups cake flour or all purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon yellow food color
4 egg yolks
1 big can (300 grams) condensed milk
2 teaspoon lemon juice
Part 1 (Leche Flan)
1. In a bowl, combine mixture then whisk until well blended.
2. Grease moulds then pour leche flan mixture 1/2 inch full.
3. Place into steamer then cover with cheesecloth, steam over low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from steamer and let it cool.
Part 2 (Puto)
1. In a separate bowl, combine wet mixture until blended
2. In another bowl, combine wet mixture until blended
3. Combine both mixture then add food color. Mix until no lumps and smooth.
4. Strain mixture using clean cheesecloth then pour over leche flan until almost full.
5. Place into steamer then cover with cheesecloth, steam over low heat for another 10 minutes.
6. Top each puto with leche flan then steam for another 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a puto comes out clean.
7. Remove from steamer and let it cool.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon butter, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoon all purpose cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a pan over medium heat, put the sugar and wait until it starts to melt. Do not stir the unmelted portion as this will cause the sugar to harden. The sugar will turn to thick amber colored liquid. You may now start stirring careful not to burn the sugar.
2. Stir the butter until completely melted.
3. slowly drizzle thhe all purpose cream . The mixture will bubble rapidly, continuously stir until the cream is evenly incorporated.The mixture will thicken once cooled.
4. Remove from heat and stir half of the salt. You may add the other half depending on your preference to the saltiness of your salted caramel. Allow to cool before drizzling to puto flan.
Note: Put in a bottle and cover tightly if not yet to be used. You may store this in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.