Filipino Style Recipe: puto bumbong is another Filipino delicacy that is usually served during Christmas season. This dish is commonly sold along the streets during Simbang gabi. Puto bumbong is a purple colored glutinous rice cake steamed in a small bamboo tube then flavored with butter or margarine then served with freshly grated coconut and sugar(muscovado or panutsa).
1 cup glutinous rice(malagkit)
1/2 cup purple-brown sticky rice(pirurutong)
butter or margarine
freshly grated coconut
sugar(mascuvado or panutsa)
wilted banana leaves
1. Soak glutinous rice and purple-brown sticky rice in salted water overnight.
2. Drain and slowly grind using a grinder until grainy.
3. Wrap and squeeze the rice mixture in a cotton or muslin cloth. Then press it using heavy object to remove excess water.
4. In a large bowl, place the rice mixture and rub by hand until its texture becomes fine-grained.
1. Fill the bamboo tube with rice mixture and steam both side for 10 minutes or until color turns to dark purple.
2. Remove the bamboo tube from the steamer and shake out to remove the steamed rice mixture.
3. Transfer the steamed rice to banana leaves then spread with butter on top. Serve with freshly grated coconut and sugar.
1. You may also used violet food coloring instead of pirurutong.
Powered by Facebook Comments