Filipino Style Recipe: You love red velvet cupcakes but your favorite color is blue. Why not make blue velvet instead? Now you can have your two favorites in one. Happy baking!
Yield: 30 cupcakes
1 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 bottle (1 ounce) blue food color
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting:
1 cup frosty whip (powdered whipping cream)
1 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon blue food color
1. In a small bowl, mix together the milk, buttermilk, and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar using electric mixer until light and fluffy, around 5 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time until just blended.
3. Mix in buttermilk mixture, food color and vanilla.
4. In another bowl, combine flour cocoa, powder and salt. Gradually blend dry mixture into the wet mixture.
1. Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups until about 2/3 full.
2. Bake into preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
3. Remove from oven and cool in wire racks.
1. Beat the powdered whipped cream, water and food color until peaks form. Chill for 15 minutes.This will make the frosting easier to pipe and hold its shape.
2. Frost cooled cupcakes. Serve and enjoy.