Making a pie from scratch may sound intimidating. But it you look into the procedure and ingredients, they are very simple. You may prepare the crust ahead of time and refrigerate.
For the pie crust:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Lemon Curd Filling:
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cup water
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 tablespoon butter
4 egg yolk
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
6 tablespoon granulated sugar
1. To prepare the crust, in a medium bowl, sift together the flour and confectioner’s sugar. Fold in the butter using a fork until mixture forms small crumbs. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until it forms a dough. If the mixture feels greasy, add some flour. Roll flat around 1/4 inch thick and to about an inch larger than pie plate. Fold carefully in half, lift to pie plate, and unfold. Press into pan. Trim edge with a small knife and pinch edges to form the desired design.Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 300 Fahrenheit. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. For the lemon curd, in a medium pan, whisk together the sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat while stirring frequently to avoid burning on the bottom, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pie crust.
3. To Make Meringue: In a large mixing bowl, whip egg whites using an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie making sure all edges of the pie is sealed.
4. Bake the pie in preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Remove from oven and let it cool. Once cooled, refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. This is important to avoid a runny curd.
Filipino Style Recipe: This crisp and sweet meringue is perfect with the freshness and tangy flavor of the mango. It is a perfect balance of different flavors and textures. This will be surely enjoyed by adults and kids alike.
4 egg whites from 4 large egg
pinch of salt
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 piece ripe mango, diced in small chunks
1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper then sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
2.In a bowl of an electric mixer fitter with whisk attachment, beat egg white and salt until still peaks form.Add cornstarch and vinegar and mix until just combine.
3. Scoop around 3 tablespoon of the meringue mixture into the baking sheets and form into small nest. Do the same to make other nests.
4. Place in the oven and lower the temperature to 210 F. Bake for 30 -35 minutes or until the meringue is crisp on the outside.Turn off the oven and open the oven door but leave the meringue to cool inside.
5. Remove from oven. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Top only with the mango when ready to consume to keep the crispiness of the meringue.
Filipino Style Recipe: Silvanas is a popular Filipino dessert made from a layer of buttercream sandwiched between meringue sheets then coated with ground biscuits.
3/4 cup cashew nuts, grind until finely ground
6 egg large whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1/2 cup milk
ground biscuit or crumbs
1. In an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar.
2. Add granulated sugar gradually then beat until it forms a stiff peak.
3. Add ground cashew nuts then fold.
1. In a baking pan lined with parchment paper, Pour and level the meringue using a spatula.
2. Bake in a preheat oven over 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool then refrigerate until consumed.
3. Then Use round or oval shape cookie cutter to cut into pieces.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy then add confectioner’s sugar gradually.
2. Gradually add milk then beat until well combined.
1. Spread buttercream on one meringue sheet.
2. Put another sheet on top.
3. Cover all sides with buttercream.
4. Roll and cover all sides with ground biscuit then take out the excess.
5. Refrigerate before serving.