Filipino Style Recipe: Buko tart is another popular Filipino delicacy and pasalubong from southern Luzon specially in the province of Laguna . Buko tart is a smaller version of buko pie or custard pie, the filling is made up of coconut meat, coconut juice milk, sugar and cornstarch then mix until well blended. Pour the mixture into a pie crust and cover with top crust then bake until firm and done.
Estimated time of preparation: 15-20 minutes
Estimated time of baking: 60-70 minutes
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoons ice-cold water
1. In a deep pan, combine filling ingredients then simmer and stir in a low heat until thickens. Set aside.
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt then mix well.
2. Add butter then mix thoroughly. Gradually pour cold water then mix until well blended.
3. Gather the dough into a ball shape then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. In a clean flat surface, place dough in wax paper then flatten using a rolling pin until 1/8 inch thick.
1. Cut out a circle shape in a flat dough then arrange and press down in a tartlet or muffin pan.
2. Prick dough with a fork then pour with coconut filling.
3. Place top cover dough over the filling then seal the edges and prick with fork.
4. Bake in a preheated oven over 400 degrees Fahrenheit then bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
1. You may brush the top cover with egg-water mixture before baking to produce a glossy and brown color to the crust.