Filipino Style Recipe: sweet and sour chicken recipe is popular among Chinese restaurants. Normally the chicken comes fried in a crispy batter and the sauce is a blend of pineapple, vinegar, ketchup, sugar and cornstarch which thickens the sauce.
Estimated time of preparation: 30 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 20-30 minutes
Good for 4 servings
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 green bell pepper, cut into cubes
1 can pineapple chunks(reserve juice)
1 medium onion, cut into cubes
3 tablespoon vinegar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch(dissolve in 5 tablespoons water)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil(optional)
1. In a bowl, combine the chicken, egg white, salt and then cornstarch. Stir to coat the chicken evenly.
2. Let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
1. In a frying pan, heat cooking oil and deep fry chicken until it’s half-done.
2. Drain and set aside.
1. In a sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil over a medium-heat.
2. Add the bell pepper and onion.
3. Add the pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, salt and brown sugar. Simmer over a high-heat.
4. Add the chicken pieces then simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
5. Add cornstarch mixture and simmer for another minute.
5. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Powered by Facebook Comments