Filipino Style Recipe: sweet and sour meatballs(bola-bola) recipe is another Filipino dish. Normally the meatballs comes fried and the sauce is a blend of tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, carrots, bell pepper, pineapple and cornstarch which thickens the sauce.
Estimated time of preparation: 20 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 15-20 minutes
Good for 4-5 servings
500 grams ground pork or ground beef
1 tablespoon cornstarch or 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 raw egg
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon soy sauce(optional)
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce(optional)
1 small carrot, finely chopped(optional)
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped(optional)
1/2 small onion, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch(dissolved in 1 tablespoon water)
1 small carrot, sliced thinly
1 cup green and red bell pepper, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup pineapple chunks, juice drained(optional)
Part 1(Skip this procedure if you are using premade meatballs from the market)
1. In a bowl, combine all the meatballs ingredients and mix thoroughly.
2. Scoop and form the mixture into 1 tablespoons ball shaped.
3. In a frying pan, heat oil and deep fry until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
1. In a sauce pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat and saute garlic and onions.
2. Add carrots and bell pepper then stir fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add pineapple chunks and stir fry for 1 minute.
4. Add tomato sauce, vinegar, water, brown sugar and a dash of salt. Mix well and let it boil.
5. Add cornstarch mixture and cook until desired thickness is reached.
6. Add fried meatballs and simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
8. Serve with steamed rice.
Powered by Facebook Comments