Filipino Style Recipe: Bukayo is another popular Filipino dessert made from young coconut strips cooked in a boiling syrup of brown sugar then stir until thicken. This dish is one of the popular delicacy and pasalubong by most Filipinos.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 20-30 minutes
4 young coconuts, grate into strips and reserve juice
a knot of pandan leaves
1/2 kilo brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch(dissolved in 4 tablespoons water)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1. In a pan, heat oil then stir fry coconut strips until light brown. Set aside.
1. In pot, boil coconut juice then add pandan leaves and brown sugar. Keep stirring until dissolves and start to thickens.
2. Remove pandan leaves then add vanilla extract. Stir until well blended.
3. Add coconut strips and dissolved cornstarch then stir frequently until thicken and caramelize.
4. While still hot, scoop a spoonful of mixture into a banana leaves or wax paper.
5. Repeat with the remaining mixture then let it cool for a few hours to harden. Serve.
Powered by Facebook Comments