Filipino Style Recipe: Sugar beets halaya is almost similar to Filipino ube halaya. This dish has a pink-red color, sweet taste and has a thick consistency. The red sugar beets cut into thin slices then boil until soft. Cook together with evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla extract until thick.
1 kilo red sugar beets, peeled and sliced
2 big cans(300 ml) condensed milk
1 big can(370 ml) evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(optional)
1/2 cup butter
1. In a pot, boil water then cook beets for 30 minutes or until tender.
2. Drain and let it cool then grate or process in a blender. Set aside.
1. Heat pan in a low heat then melt butter.
2. Add remaining ingredients and grated beets then cook for 30 minutes or until becomes really thick. Keep stirring.
3. Transfer to shallow pan and let it cool then refrigerate for 2 hours before serve.
Filipino Style Recipe: Ube Halaya is a Filipino dessert made from purple yam. The purple yam comes boiled, peeled and grated. Cook with condensed milk and evaporated milk until thick.
1 kilo purple yam(ube)
2 cans(12 ounces) condensed milk
1 can(14 ounces) evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
1. In a pot, arrange purple yam and pour water. Bring to boil for 30 minutes or until tender.
2. Drain and let it cool. Peel and grate the purple yam.
1. In a pan, melt butter in a low heat and add condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
2. Add grated purple yam and cook for 30 minutes or until becomes really thick.
3. Transfer to shallow pan and let it cool.
4. Refrigerate for 2 hours then serve.
1. You may also used powdered purple yam, available in grocery stores.