Filipino Style Recipe: Sugar beets halaya is almost similar to Filipino ube halaya. This dish has a pink-red color, sweet taste and has a thick consistency. The red sugar beets cut into thin slices then boil until soft. Cook together with evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla extract until thick.
1 kilo red sugar beets, peeled and sliced
2 big cans(300 ml) condensed milk
1 big can(370 ml) evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(optional)
1/2 cup butter
1. In a pot, boil water then cook beets for 30 minutes or until tender.
2. Drain and let it cool then grate or process in a blender. Set aside.
1. Heat pan in a low heat then melt butter.
2. Add remaining ingredients and grated beets then cook for 30 minutes or until becomes really thick. Keep stirring.
3. Transfer to shallow pan and let it cool then refrigerate for 2 hours before serve.