Filipino Style Recipe: Carioca or Karioka is another typical Filipino meryenda(mid-afternoon snack). It is usually made up of sticky rice balls filled with sweet red bean paste. Deep fried until goldent brown then coated in brown sugar glaze.
2 cups sweet rice flour
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk
sweet red beans paste
1. In a bowl, combine rice flour and coconut milk. Mix well until dough like.
2. Take 2 tablespoons of dough and make a ball shape.
3. Flatten the center of the dough using your thumb and scoop in at least 1 tablespoon of filling.
4. Fill in the center of dough, seal then roll into a ball and flatten into a patty.
1.In a pan, heat oil and deep fry the dough for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Drain on paper towel then set aside.
1. In a sauce pan, combine brown sugar and coconut milk then bring to a boil until glaze.
2. Dip the carioca in the mixture until completely coated.
3. Remove the carioca one by one then skew each carioca on bamboo sticks, 2-3 carioca per stick.
1. Sweet red bean paste is available in grocery stores. But if you prefer to do it by yourself, here’s the recipe on how to make a sweet red bean paste.