Filipino Style Recipe: Carioca or Karioka is another typical Filipino meryenda(mid-afternoon snack). It is usually made up of sticky rice balls filled with sweet red bean paste. Deep fried until goldent brown then coated in brown sugar glaze.
cooking oil for frying
2 cups sweet rice flour
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk
sweet red beans paste
1. In a bowl, combine rice flour and coconut milk. Mix well until dough like.
2. Take 2 tablespoons of dough and make a ball shape.
3. Flatten the center of the dough using your thumb and scoop in at least 1 tablespoon of filling.
4. Fill in the center of dough, seal then roll into a ball and flatten into a patty.
1.In a pan, heat oil and deep fry the dough for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Drain on paper towel then set aside.
1. In a sauce pan, combine brown sugar and coconut milk then bring to a boil until glaze.
2. Dip the carioca in the mixture until completely coated.
3. Remove the carioca one by one then skew each carioca on bamboo sticks, 2-3 carioca per stick.
1. Sweet red bean paste is available in grocery stores. But if you prefer to do it by yourself, here’s the recipe on how to make a sweet red bean paste.
Powered by Facebook Comments