Filipino Style Recipe: pasta puttanesca is an Italian dish that has become popular in the Philippines. The sauce is consists of tomato paste, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, capers, cheese and anchovy. This is commonly prepared over or toss with pasta then sprinkle with grated cheese.
Estimated time of preparation: 5 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 30 minutes
Good for 4 persons
400 grams spaghetti pasta
1 pack(560 grams) tomato paste or spaghetti sauce
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons anchovy flakes(reserved oil)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 can(115 grams) button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese(reserve half for garnishing)
3 pieces tomatoes, chopped(optional)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped(optional)
1. In a large pot, prepare the pasta based on cooking instructions. Drain and set aside.
1. In a pan, heat anchovy oil and olive oil then saute garlic and onion until translucent.
2. Add tomatoes and mushrooms then continue sauteing for 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste then bring to boil. Add a little water if necessary.
4. Add the rest of ingredients then season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 2 minutes or until beginning to thicken.
6. Arrange pasta into serving plate then pour the sauce and toss. Top with grated cheese. Serve!
1. If you don’t have anchovy, you may use bagoong na isda as alternative.