Filipino Style Recipe: Pork and beans with alugbati is high protein dish that consists of beans boiled until tender then cooked along with pork, tomato sauce, other ingredients and alugbati.
1/4 kilo white beans(bitsuelas)
1/2 kilo pork, cut into small pieces
4 gloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 onion, chopped
3 pieces tomatoes, discard seeds and diced
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato ketchup(optional)
1 liter water
sugar, salt and pepper to taste
a bunch of alugbati(basella)
1. In a bowl, soak beans in water overnight. Wash on running water then drain. Set aside.
2. In a pot, boil water then cook beans for an hour or until tender. Add water if necessary then set aside.
1. In another pot, heat oil then saute garlic, onion and tomatoes.
2. Add pork and cook until light brown and tender.
3. Add boiled beans, tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar, salt and pepper according to taste.
4. Simmer until well blended and thicken. Add water if necessary.
5. Add alugbati then simmer for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat then serve with steamed rice.