Filipino Style Recipe: Paksiw na tilapia is a quick and easy fish dish by Filipinos. The fish and vegetables cooked in a blend of vinegar and some spices like garlic, onion and ginger. Here is my Mom’s recipe on how to cook the usual paksiw na tilapia. Enjoy cooking!
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20-30 minutes. Good for 3-4 persons.
4 pieces medium-sized tilapia, cleaned, scales removed and cut diagonally into half
1 small garlic, pounded
1 onion, sliced
1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced and pounded
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon peppercorn
2 teaspoon salt
3 green chili(siling haba)
5 small okra, heads removed
1. In a pan, arrange tilapia, garlic, onion, ginger, salt and peppercorn.
2. Pour water, vinegar and cooking oil then add vegetable and green chili.
3. Cover and simmer in a medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove from heat and Serve.
1. You may also used eggplants or bitter gourd(ampalaya) as alternative vegetable.
Filipino Style Recipe: pinaputok na tilapia is a grilled/fried stuffed fish, popular on every occasion served as finger food(pulutan). Like Grilled Stuffed Milkfish, tilapia comes grilled or fried with onions and tomatoes inside then wrapped with banana leaves or aluminum foil.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 20-30 minutes
Good for 1-2 persons
1 large tilapia
4 tomatoes, diced
2 onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
banana leaves or aluminum foil for wrapping
1. Scale and clean the fish.
2. With a sharp knife, slits the fish both side.
3. Rub the skin with salt. Set aside.
1. In a bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, salt and pepper. Mix well.
2. Stuff the mixture inside the fish.
3. Grease the banana leaf with butter then wrap the fish tightly.
4. Grill or fry the fish for about 10 minutes each side or until fish is tender.
5. Serve with soy sauce and calamansi.
Filipino Style Recipe: Tilapia sisig is a spicy and sour appetizer that usually served as finger food(pulutan). Normally the fish comes fried or steamed then debone and flake. Marinade with soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir fried until the sauce is absorb then add green chili and transfer to sizzling plate with egg and calamansi.
Estimated time of preparation: 30-40 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 15-20 minutes
Good for 2-3 servings
1 kilo tilapia, cleaned
3 gloves garlic, chopped
3 red onions, chopped
4 tablespoons vinegar
4 pieces green chili(siling haba), chopped
1 tablespoon cooking oil
3 pieces red chili(siling labuyo), chopped(optional)
1 raw egg(optional)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1. Fry or steam the tilapia. Flake the fish and discard bones. Chop and set aside.
1. In a bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.
2. Add the fish then mix well. Marinate for 30 minutes.
1. In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onions.
2. Add marinated fish including the marinade then pour vinegar.
3. Add green and red chili and adjust seasoning according to taste.
3. Stir fry until the sauce is almost absorb.
3. Transfer to hot sizzling plate and add fresh egg on top. Serve immediately with calamansi.