Filipino Style Recipe: Siomai(Shumai) is a tasty dimsum of Chinese that is now popular for many Filipinos. There are many varieties of siomai like pork, beef, prawn or shrimp, etc but pork is the most popular . The secret in having a soft, tasty siomai is that the ground meat should have some fat otherwise siomai will be too tough. Here’s the recipe for pork siomai:
1 kilo ground pork(with a bit of fat)
1/3 cup turnips(singkamas), minced(optional)
3/4 cup carrots, minced
2 medium onions, minced
bunch of spring onions or leeks, minced
1 raw egg
5 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
100 pieces wanton/siomai wrapper
1. Mix all the ingredientsin a bowl.
2. Spread 1-2 tablespoon of mixture on each wrapper. cover and seal.
3. Using a steamer, boil water and brush the plate with oil
4. When the water is starting to boil, arrange the siomai in the steamer and let stand for 15-20 minutes(Time depends on the size of each piece.)
5. Serve with soy sauce and calamansi
1/8 kilo Bird’s Eye Chili(Siling Labuyo), chopped(or chili paste)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3 tablespoons sesame or cooking oil
1. Combine chillies and garlic then simmer for 20 minutes or till most of the water has evaporated.
2. Add sesame oil, simmer and stir well.