Filipino Style Recipe: Pesang tilapia is an easy and simple fish dish similar to nilaga. Commonly the fish boiled until tender then add onion, leeks, peppercorn, salt, potatoes, bok choy or cabbage.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20 minutes
Good for 2-3 servings
1 big-sized tilapia or any fish, cleaned and cut into serving pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, slice thinly
2 onion leeks, chopped
1 teaspoon peppercorns
4 tablespoons fish sauce
1/4 head cabbage or a bunch of pechay
3/4 liter rice washing or water
salt to taste
1 medium-sized potatoes, quartered(optional)
1. In a pot, heat oil then saute ginger, onion and onion leeks.
2. Add potatoes and peppercorns then continue sauteing for a minute.
3. Pour rice washing and bring to boil then season with fish sauce.
4. Add fish then simmer for 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
5. Add cabbage then simmer for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
6. Transfer to serving bowl then serve immediately.
Filipino Style Recipe: pesang manok or boiled chicken recipe is another simple chicken dish. This is similar to Tinolang Manok but the procedures are the same in Nilagang Baka. Normally the chicken boiled until tender then add onion, peppercorn, salt, potatoes, bok choy or cabbage.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 30-40 minutes
Good for 4-5 servings
1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
7 cups water(depends on your preference)
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon peppercorns
2 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
1 head bok choy(petchay) or cabbage leaves(repolyo)
1 teaspoon salt
1 bunch green onions(optional)
1 piece chicken broth cubes(optional)
1. In a large pot, add chicken, water, ginger, onions, peppercorns and salt.
2. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove the scum as it rises.
1. Add potatoes then cook until the potatoes is almost tender.
2. Add bok choy, cabbage and green onions then adjust seasoning according to taste.
3. Cook until vegetables are tender then remove from heat. Serve hot with steamed rice.