Filipino Style Recipe: sinigang na bangus or milkfish in tamarind is another simple and easy Filipino dish. This is similar to sinigang na hipon and sinigang na baboy that has a sour broth. Normally the milkfish cooked in a combination of rice washing, onions, tomatoes, vegetables and tamarind which gives a sour taste.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 20-30 minutes
Good for 3-4 persons
1 medium-sized milk fish(bangus), cut in about 4-5 slices
6 tamarind(sampaloc) or 1 pack(22grams) sampaloc mix
6 cups water or rice washing
3 pieces tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, chopped
1 bundle kangkong leaves or sweet potato leaves
1 cup string beans(sitaw), cut into 2 inches long
2 pieces green pepper(siling haba)
Salt or Fish Sauce(patis) to taste
1. In a pot, pour water and add onion and tomatoes. Bring to boil.
2. Add milk fish, cook and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add tamarind juice or sampaloc mix. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add green chili, string beans then kangkong leaves.
6. Season with salt or fish sauce according to taste.
7. Serve hot.
If using tamarind instead of sinigang mix, here’s the procedure:
1. Boil tamarind until soften.
2. Pound and extract the juices.
Powered by Facebook Comments