Filipino Style Recipe: Kansi is a popular delicacy in Iloilo specially in Bacolod City. This dish is like a fusion of bulalo and sinigang that has a sour flavor coming from batuan fruit. Kansi most sought after during rainy weather because its hot soup and tender beef gives warmth and comfort.
1 kilo beef shanks, cut into serving pieces
8 batuan (batwan)
250 grams green jackfruit (langka)
2 stalks lemon grass (tanglad)
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 onions, chopped
fish sauce or salt and pepper to taste
1/2 small cabbage, quartered (optional)
1 tablespoon annato seeds (dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
red chili pepper (optional)
1. In a large casserole, heat oil then saute garlic and onion.
2. Add beef and pour water just enough to cover the meat.
3. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil and simmer for at least about 1-2 hours or until meat is tender.
4. Remove the scum as it rises. Add more water if necessary. (Pressure cooker takes less time.)
1. Add lemongrass and Batuan, salt and pepper then simmer for another 5 minutes.
2. Add red chili and jackfruit then simmer until it’s cooked.
3. Add annato water then adjust seasoning according to taste
4. Add cabbage then simmer for another 3-5 minutes. Serve
1. You may use kamias as alternative to batuan.
Powered by Facebook Comments