1 kilo beef brisket, cut into serving pieces
2 cups tamarind juice or 1 pack sampaloc mix
1 big-sized onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, julienned
1 regular sized watermelon(pakwan), seeded and sliced into cubes
3 medium-sized taro(gabi), peeled and cut into cubes
1 bundle of string beans(sitaw), cut into 2 inches long
1 bundle of river spinach(kangkong leaves)
3 pieces green pepper(siling haba)
fish sauce and ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 liters water
1. In a casserole, heat oil then place beef and cook in batches until browned. Remove.
1. In same casserole, saute garlic, onion and ginger.
2. Add watermelon slices then cook for 5 minutes.
3. Put back beef then cover and simmer in a low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Add more water if necessary. (Pressure cooker takes less time.)
4. Add gabi and tamarind juice then simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
5. Add green pepper and string beans then simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning with fish sauce, ground pepper then add kangkong.
7. Turn off the heat then let it sit for 1-2 minutes or until kangkong is cooked.
8. Transfer to serving bowl then serve hot with steamed rice.
Powered by Facebook Comments