Filipino style recipe: vegetable curry stew recipe is another vegetable dish. This stew sauteed with cubes of sweet potato and other vegetables. You may also serve this meal during Lenten season.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 30-40 minutes
Good for 4 servings
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 green pepper, cut into cubes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small zucchini, cut into cubes
1 can garbanzo beans or any beans, rinsed and drained
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin(optional)
1. In a sauce pan, heat olive oil then add onion, green pepper, sweet potato and zucchini.
2. Stir occasionally, cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are golden.
3. Add curry and cumin then continue cooking for 1 minute.
4. Add garbanzo beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth and salt.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are done.
1. You also use vegetable soup mix dissolve in warm water as vegetable broth.
2. You may also add carrots and other green leafy vegetables.
Filipino Style Recipe: Chicken curry is one of the popular chicken dish in the Philippines. This dish has a strong flavor and aroma similar to Indian and Arabian cuisines. Chicken is cook in curry powder and other spices, we also add coconut milk for creamy and more flavorful taste which most Filipinos love it.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 40-50 minutes.
Good for 4-6 persons.
1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
3 potatoes, quartered
3 bell pepper(red & green), cut into strips
1 cup coconut milk or evaporated milk
3 tablespoon curry powder
1 large onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce(patis)
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium carrots, chopped(optional)
3 celery stalks, cut into 1-1/2” long(optional)
2 pcs large hot chili peppers, sliced(optional)
1. In a pan, fry potatoes until color turns to light brown. Drain and set aside.
2. In the same pan, saute garlic and onion for a few minutes until soft
3. Add chicken and pour fish sauce, continue sauteing for 3 minutes or until color turns to light brown.
4. Season with curry powder, salt and pepper. Continue stirring for another 2 minutes.
5. Add water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is half done.
6. Lower the heat, add celery, bell peppers and fried potatoes. Simmer for another 3 minutes.
7. Add milk and stir occasionally to keep it from curdling. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
8. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
9. Remove from heat. Serve hot. Enjoy!