Filipino Style Recipe: sinampalukang manok or chicken in tamarind is another simple and easy Filipino dish. This is similar to sinigang na hipon and sinigang na baboy. Normally the chicken sauteed and cooked in a combination of onions, garlic, ginger, different vegetables and tamarind which gives a sour taste.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 30-40 minutes
Good for 5-6 servings
1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
12 pieces tamarind(sampalok) or 1 pack sinigang mix
5 cups water or rice wash
3 gloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced
3 tomatoes, quartered
3 pieces green peppers(siling haba)
1 bundle water spinach(kangkong), cut into 2 inches
1 bundle string beans(sitaw), cut into 2 inches
fish sauce or salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup tamarind leaves(optional)
2 pieces eggplants, cut into serving pieces(optional)
1 chicken bouillon(broth cube)(optional)
In a pot, boil tamarind until soften then pound and extract the juice. Set aside.
1. In a pot, heat oil and saute garlic, onions and ginger.
2. Add chicken and pour fish sauce then continue sauteing until chicken is light brown.
3. Pour water, tomatoes and chicken bouillon then bring to boil. Add water if necessary
4. Add tamarind leaves and tamarind juice then simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
5. Add eggplant, string beans and green chili. Simmer of 5 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning with fish sauce or salt and pepper.
7. Turn off the heat, add water spinach and cover for a few minutes.
8. Transfer to serving bowl and serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Powered by Facebook Comments