Filipino Style Recipe: Agar-Agar Salad is another popular appetizer or dessert of Filipinos that is commonly served in every special occasions like Christmas and New Year. Salad is consist of gelatinous substance blend in condensed milk and cream together with various fruits.
4 tablespoons agar-agar powder
2 liters water
1 tablespoons flavoring extract (pandan, orange, pineapple, etc) (optional)
1 can fruit cocktail
2 big cans all purpose cream
1 big can (370ml) condensed milk
1. In a pot, combine, agar-agar powder, flavoring extract and water then stir until dissolved.
2. Bring to boil over medium heat until slightly thicken. Keep stirring.
3. Pour the mixture into baking pan or rectangular-shaped container. Set aside and let it cool until solidify.
1. Scrape the agar-agar into strips.
2. In a large bowl, combine fruit cocktail, cream and condense milk then mix.
3. Cover and refrigerate for several hours. Serve cold.
Filipino Style Recipe: sago at gulaman is a popular refreshing beverage and usually served during summer season. This refreshing drinks is made of tapioca pearls(sago), gelatin(gulaman), sugar syrup and crushed ice.
Estimated time of preparation: 10-15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 15-20 minutes
Good for 4-6 servings
2 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon gelatin powder
1/2 cup black tapioca pearls(sago),(how to cook?…see below)
2 cups dark brown sugar
2 cups boiling water
1. In a square pan, dissolved gelatin powder in boiling water then stir until completely dissolved. Let it cool and place in fridge until firm.
2. Cut into small cubes. Set aside.
1. In a saucepan, boil water then dissolved brown sugar. Stir until dissolved then let it cool and set aside.
1. In a glass, place tapioca pearls and cubed gelatin.
2. Pour the syrup then top with crushed ice. Serve cold!
How to cook Tapioca Pearls:
1. Soak tapioca pearls in water for 3 hours then cook in boiling water for 15 minutes or until turn clear.
2. Stir constantly to prevent sticking then drain and transfer to a bowl of cold water. Set aside
Filipino Style Recipe: gelatin dessert or jello dessert is one of the easiest and popular appetizer or dessert of Filipinos in every occasion specially during Christmas and New Year. The typical gelatin dessert is consist of various colorful gelatin blend in condensed milk and fridge until firm.
Estimated time of preparation: 20 minutes
Good for 15 servings.
1 box strawberry flavored gelatin
1 box lime flavored gelatin
1 box orange flavored gelatin
2 boxes unflavored gelatin(colorless)
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
5 cups boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1. In a square pan, dissolve each flavored gelatin in 1 cup boiling water then add 1/2 cup cold water. Mix well.
2. Repeat this step to other gelatin in a separate pan.
3. Place in fridge until firm.
4. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.
1. In a bowl, dissolved unflavored gelatin in 1-1/2 cup boiling water, condensed milk. Mix well and let it cool.
1. In a large pan, randomly place the cubed gelatin then pour milk mixture.
2. Stir gently to evenly distribute gelatin cubes.
3. Refrigerate for 5 hours or until firm. Slice then serve.