1 kilo tripe
2 pieces onions,chopped
8 cups water, add more if needed
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup ground peanuts(optional)
1/4 cup cup rice flour
2 tablespoons annatto powder
4 pieces eggplant, slice in small pieces
1 bundle bok choy(pechay), trimmed
1 bunch of string beans(sitaw), cut in 2-inch long
1 banana heart(puso ng saging), sliced diagonally (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
sauteed shrimp paste(bagoong alamang)
1. In a pressure cooker, cook ox tripe and onions in water for atleast 40 minutes or until tender.
1. In a bowl, mix peanut butter, ground peanuts, rice flour and annatto powder with 1/2 cup of water.
2. Pour into pressure cooker then cook for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce is thick. Stir to blend well.
3. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
1. While cooking the tripe, boil water in a separate pot then blanch vegetables for 3- 5 minutes. Do not over cook the vegetables. Drain.
1. Transfer ox tripe kare kare into a bowl then arrange vegetables on the side.
2. Serve immediately with shrimp paste.
1 kilo beef innards(tripe, intestines, liver, kidney)
1/2 cup diluted beef bile
2 thumb-sized ginger, cut into strips
1 head garlic, chopped
2 medium-sized onion, chopped
5 pieces green chili(siling haba)
8 pieces calamansi
fish sauce or salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pot, boil enough water with 1 tablespoon salt.
2. Add beef innards and simmer for 30-50 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain and let it cool. Slice into small pieces then set aside.
1. In a pot, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger.
2. add beef innards and continue sauteing for 3 minutes.
3. Pour 4 cups of water and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add water if needed.
4. Pour bile and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Add green chili, calamansi juice, salt and pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning according to taste. Remove from heat then serve hot.
Filipino Style Recipe: lengua estofada or lengua estofado is originally from Spanish that has become very popular in Filipino cuisine. Lengua estofada is a stewed ox tongue cooked in tomato sauce then serve with fried potatoes.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Good for 8 persons
1 kilo ox tongue
2 large potato, peeled and sliced crosswise
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups water
1/4 cooking oil
salt to taste
1/2 cup white wine(optional)
1 piece beef cube(optional)
1. In a bowl, mix vinegar and salt. Rub tongue with mixture to remove the shiny substance then rinse well.
2. In a pot, pour water and arrange tongue. Bring to boil for 10 minutes.
3. Drain the tongue and scrape the white surface using knife. Rinse well.
1. In a frying pan, heat oil and fry tongue until brown. Drain and set aside.
2. Fry potatoes. Drain and set aside.
1. In a sauce pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion.
2. Add tongue, 2 cups water, tomato paste, bay leaf, white wine, oyster sauce, sugar, peppercorns and salt.
3. Simmer for 2 hours or until tongue is tender. Add more water if necessary.
4. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
5. Take out the tongue and slice 1/2 inch diagonally.
6. Transfer to serving plate with fried potatoes. Pour the sauce on top. Serve